Whether it be because we’re on a budget or on a tight schedule (or both) for most of us, getting a weekly facial just isn’t going to happen. I think we can all agree that part of what makes a facial, well… a facial, is that feeling of relaxation and pampering. While it may be a little difficult to recreate this sort of experience at home, you can still replicate the result of a healthy, glowing complexion by following these steps:
Step 1: Pull your hair back from your face either with an elastic or a headband. This may seem pretty obvious, but it just makes the following steps easier.
Step 2: Remove all of your makeup using a gentle makeup remover or makeup removing wipes. I personally useNeutrogena Cleansing Makeup Remover Towelettes because they’re quick and easy.
Step 3: Cleanse. Wash your face with a gentle cleanser and warm water. For best results use a Clarisonic (or something of that nature) to get the deepest clean possible. I like to use Clean & Clear Morning Burst Detoxifying Facial Cleanser for this step.
Step 4: Clean out your pores. I use Biore Pore Strips about once a week or so to keep my pores all cleaned out. This helps prevent blackheads and breakouts. I like to cut the strips into smaller pieces so I can arrange them exactly how I want on my face. Follow the instructions on the box and let those sit for a bit. Remove, and continue to the next step.
Step 5: Open up your pores. Most salons and spas have a steamer, but for an at home facial, simply dampen a washcloth with hot water and place it over your face to open up your pores. Doing this allows your products to penetrate deeper into your skin.
Step 6: Exfoliate. Try to find an exfoliating scrub that has small granules. The ones with larger granules can damage your skin if they’re too rough, and just simply don’t work as well with scruffing off that dead skin. Gently massage your exfoliating scrub into your skin in circular motions using your hands. My favorite exfoliating scrub of all time is Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Gentle Exfoliating Treatment. I really recommend splurging a little to get a really good product for this step. Keep in mind that you should not exfoliate more than a couple of times a week, so it should last you a pretty long time.
Step 7: Treat. Apply a mask to your face, carefully avoiding your eye area. This step will vary based on your own skin care needs. If you have oily/acne prone skin opt for a purifying mask such as Glam Glow Supermud Clearing Treatment. If your skin is more on the dry side, use a hydrating mask. Let your mask sit for about 10 minutes, then gently rinse off with warm water.
Step 8: Tone. Use a toner to close up your pores. This will also vary with what type of skin you have. Oily skin, look for an astringent to help absorb excess oil. If you have drier skin, go for something more gentle and hydrating such as Natura Bisse Hydro Gel Toner.
Step 9: Hydrate. Again, like with the previous step, this one is based on your own skin care needs. If you’re more on the oily side, be sure to use a moisturizer that is light and oil-free. Massage your moisturizer into your skin on both your face and neck. My go-to moisturizer is Aveeno Positively Radiant because it’s lightweight and has SPF.
- Link" href="http://thetrendytomboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/1587453_orig.jpg">
- Link" href="http://thetrendytomboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/1857270_orig.jpg">
- Link" href="http://thetrendytomboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/2472521_orig.jpg">
- Link" href="http://thetrendytomboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/2589289_orig.jpg">
- Link" href="http://thetrendytomboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/2592181_orig.jpg">
- Link" href="http://thetrendytomboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/2917133_orig.jpg">
- Link" href="http://thetrendytomboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/4054370_orig.jpg">
- Link" href="http://thetrendytomboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/4161595_orig.jpg">
- Link" href="http://thetrendytomboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/4791719_orig.jpg">
- Link" href="http://thetrendytomboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/5524969_orig.jpg">
- Link" href="http://thetrendytomboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/5812383_orig.png">
- Link" href="http://thetrendytomboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/5835986_orig.jpg">
- Link" href="http://thetrendytomboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/6130596_orig.jpg">
- Link" href="http://thetrendytomboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/6187097_orig.jpg">
- Link" href="http://thetrendytomboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/7086334_orig.jpg">
- Link" href="http://thetrendytomboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/7115300_orig.jpg">
- Link" href="http://thetrendytomboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/7476873_orig.png">
- Link" href="http://thetrendytomboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/7503884_orig.jpg">
- Link" href="http://thetrendytomboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/7845426_orig.jpg">
- Link" href="http://thetrendytomboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/9123559_orig.png">
- Link" href="http://thetrendytomboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/9999010_orig.png">